Friday, 27 May 2016

Friday I'm In Love - Baggy Trousers

Hey Peeps!

How are you all this week? I've had another fun week....lot's of sewing, lot's of new commissions and this weekend I have (part of) the family visiting which is awesome. There is lots happening at the shop over this weekend; live demonstrations of jewellery making, painting, paper crafting, wax art and more! So if you find yourself on the Isle that is Wight head on over to Island Artisan and have a look.....

So this week I thought I would share one of my April makes with you.....
.......it's the jumpsuit I fudged together from this vintage pattern...
....and the trousers I copied from a RTW Dorothy Perkins jumpsuit that I've had for years. I've never made a pattern like that before but I thought "how hard could it be!?" and decided to give it a go. Turns out not to hard. It's certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I'm learning as I go.
Excuse the derpy expression....it was bloody freezing the day I took these pictures! 
When I muslined the bodice I had to tweak the fit a bit as the vintage pattern was the correct size for my boobs which meant it was way too big at the waist, that was an easy fix.... I just shaved off the extra inches in the side seams and darts....it worked. I tried the bodice on and it fitted but it wasn't a tight fit...I kinda liked that. It gave me the idea to try something very fluid like this rayon.
I had initially intended to make some kind of full skirt to go along with the drapey bodice but I was also working on my Liberty Carline jumpsuit which gave me the idea to try the trousers with this bodice and a close fitting waistband. I love how it's turned out....the only thing I would change is the length of the bodice. As I was working from the traced copy of the original pattern I didn't notice that I had already added length which is a standard adjustment I have to make to nearly every pattern I get (damn my long torso). Usually I mark the alterations I've made but apparently not this time.....ooops! I'd added enough length that I wouldn't have needed the waistband so the top is now too long but that only really shows in the back. I may go back and remedy this at a later date but I have worn this out and it's super comfy and (I think) very flattering....there will definitely be more iterations of this in my future!

I bought the rayon from an eBay seller Indian Royal Treasure and it's lovely, so soft, very fluid, washes well, very reasonably priced and it's not too much of a bitch to work with! I've got my eye on a few more prints....
1 / 2 / 3 / 4
 .....can you tell I have a thing for florals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading.